I cannot think of the word 'country' without thinking about a recipe for homemade chicken pot pie. Just like chicken and dumplings, chicken pot pie reminds me of pure....homemade...comfort food. I have tried many recipes in the past for pot pies, but this one hit our taste buds right on the nail. I imagine it has something to do with the creamy, liquid filling that is placed ontop of the veggies and chicken. The only thing I would do differently next time would be to add some chopped potatoes to the mix :) I was even brave enough to make the crust homemade ;)
I do realize that it is still 100 plus degrees outside, however, when it comes to cooking, I think it is entirely impossible to avoid cooking/baking in your oven during the whole length of summer. After all, this is why air conditioners were made, right? ;) So you know what I say? I say crank up your a/c, turn on your oven, and make this recipe. If anything, it will remind you of the upcoming fall and winter season. And I don't know about y'all, but I welcome happy thoughts of the chilly weather to come :)
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
(makes one 9 inch pie)
Ingredients for Crust:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup shortening
5-6 tbsp. cold water
Directions for the Crust:
1. Mix flour together with salt in a medium sized bowl.
2. Cut shortening into the flour and mash with fork until it has the consistency of cornmeal.
3. Use the fork and stir the water in slowly, tablespoon by tablespoon.
4. Keep stirring dough until the edges are coming off of the bowl.
5. Divide dough into two parts. Roll each piece of dough into a 9 inch circle.
6. Place one 9 inch dough circle into a 9 inch pie plate...making sure it covers the bottom and the sides.
7. Save the second dough circle to place on the top of the pie when filling is ready.
Ingredients for Filling:
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup chopped potatoes
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. Season All
1 and 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
Directions For Filling:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, potatoes, and celery. Add just enough water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions and butter until soft and translucent. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, celery seed, and Season All.
4. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer until liquid starts becoming thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Place the chicken and vegetable mixture on top of the pie crust inside the pie plate.
6. Pour the liquid mixture over the chicken/vegetable mixture.
7. Cover the top with the other dough circle, making sure to seal edges. Cut off any excess dough.
8. Make a few small slits on the top of the dough to allow the pie to vent.
9. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.