This recipe has been on our menu for quite some time.
We grilled out this past Sunday so I made this as a lovely compliment to our dinner. After everyone ate their piece, I packed the rest in a cute little "To Go" box for Husband Man to take to his Airmen for work. The kids didn't really care for the coconut, but loved the rest of it :) The hubs and I enjoyed it, coconut and all.
The original name for this recipe was called 'Christmas Coconut Cake', however, after making it, I decided to rename it. In my opinion, this cake would be good anytime of the year! Once y'all see how easy this is to make, you'll be hitting the stores to get the ingredients and make it yourself :)
Creamy Coconut Pineapple Cake
(Makes one 13x9 inch cake)
1 (18 oz.) package of boxed butter cake mix with pudding in the mix
1 (14 oz.) can of sweetened condensed milk
1 (8 and 1/2 oz.) can cream of coconut
1 (15 and 1/4 oz.) can of crushed pineapple (I used half of this because I'm not a huge pineapple fan)
1 (12 oz.) carton of thawed Cool Whip
6 oz. package of shredded coconut
10 oz. jar of maraschino cherries (optional)
1 pkg. of crushed pecans (optional)
1. Prepare and bake cake mix according to packaged directions. Punch holes on top of the cake with a knife.
2. Combine condensed milk with cream of coconut in a small bowl. Drain the pineapple and mix the liquid in with the milk and coconut. Stir until well mixed. Pour over top of the cake, making sure to the liquid hits the holes. Let the cake cool.
3. Spread pineapple over the cooled cake. Then spread the Cool Whip.
4. Sprinkle the coconut on top of the Cool Whip.
5. Decorate with pecans and cherries (optional).
6. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours. Store in the refrigerator.
If some of the liquid overflows on the edges of the cake, don't panic. It will be ok. The cake will act like a sponge and sop it up as it cools. You can also toast the coconut for a few minutes or until it turns a light brown, before adding it onto the cake :)
Recipe Source: Shreveport/Bossier City Yahoo Recipe Group