It is order season down here in Louisiana. Meaning the Military is once again, handing out orders to everyone and their mama. And once again, our family got passed up for this cycle. For the past 5 years, there was talk about us "possibly" getting sent to Minot Air Force Base. Ha! Never happened.
Husband Man has attempted to put in and apply for orders to California...twice in the last 8 months. We are still here. He called me up the other day and told me that yet, another position has opened up in California. He's thinking of applying for it....again. And now we are doing the "should he or shouldn't he apply for it"...dance. Weighing the pros and cons. So grueling and so emotionally draining.
It's been a roller coaster ride over here....so what did I do this past week to cope??
I made a pizza ;)
This recipe has been in the works for months! I have made it four times so far, each time tweaking it a little here and a little there. The combination of seasonings are just the right amount. Not to spicy but not to bland.
My previous attempts at making homemade pizza crust failed miserably compared to this one. Either they were to doughy/flour-ee or they just lacked that 'crusty' flavor. Luckily my family and I can call off the search for a recipe because we have found it!
Another awesome tidbit about this recipe......
No. Bread. Machine. Required.
You can thank me later ;)
Basic Herb Pizza Crust
(makes one 13 inch pizza and an 8 inch pizza/or one 16 inch pizza)
2 and 1/4 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
1 tsp. white sugar
1 cup warm water
2 and 1/2 cups bread flour plus a little more for kneeding the dough
1 tsp. salt
2 and 1/2 tbsp. olive oil plus a couple more for brushing crust and pan
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. rosemary
A couple of grinds of fresh black pepper or a couple of dashes of ground pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat 1 cup of water in a microwave safe bowl on medium-high heat for 45 seconds. Place the 1 tsp. white sugar and 2 and 1/4 tsp. Active Dry Yeast inside. Stir until dissolved. Let it stand for 10 minutes until creamy and foamy.
2. Mix 2 and 1/2 tbsp. olive oil with basil, oregano, onion powder, rosemary, and black pepper. Set aside.
3. Take yeast mixture and combine it with the flour and salt in a big bowl. Add in the herb oil. Beat until smooth. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
4. Take dough out and place onto lightly floured surface. Kneed dough until smooth to the touch. Mix the remaining olive oil with 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder. Brush the surface of the pan.
5. Take dough, place it on the pan. Mold and shape into pan until it starts to form a crust. Brush dough with remaining oil and garlic.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Top with desired toppings.
7. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until crust comes out golden. We like to make a little pan of bread sticks to go with our pizza.
8. Let it rest 5 minutes before serving.
**Libby's Notes: You MUST use bread flour. No other type of flour will do for this crust.
Recipe Source: Altered and tweaked from Allrecipes.com. Original recipe can be found HERE.