This past weekend I decided to try my hand at making dessert in the slow cooker.
My first attempt (a banana bread recipe) did not go over very well. The baking time took twice as long as the original recipe suggested and when it was finished, the results were horrible. We ended up with a burnt bottom, dry center, and soft top. Ummmm.....no.
Not sure what went wrong with that one, however, I decided to try again, this time enlisting the help of my children.
My son actually picked this recipe because he liked the fact that it was 'upside down.' Loving his logic behind his choice, I headed straight back into that kitchen and tried again.
This was the result....
.....look at those yummy layers of chocolate-y goodness!
Husband Man commented that this dessert tasted just like those Betty Crocker Warm Delight bowls. I have to agree with him.
This is best served warm. My children did not like to eat it cold. We nuked it in the microwave the next day and all was well with the world again.
It's a thin layered dessert so if you are feeding a crowd of people, I would suggest doubling the recipe. Topping it off with some ice cream or whipped cream would make it even better.
Have fun with it...that's what it's all about ;)
Upside Down Chocolate Pudding Cake
1 cup dry all purpose baking mix (we used Bisquick)
1 cup sugar, divided
2 tbsp. cocoa powder, plus 1/3 cup
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 and 2/3 cups hot water
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1. Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, mix together baking mix, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tbsp. cocoa powder, milk, vanilla, and nuts. Spoon batter evenly into slow cooker.
3. In another bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, and hot water. Stir until well combined.
4. Pour over batter in slow cooker. Do not stir.
5. Cook on high for 2-4 hours, or until toothpick in the center of the cake part comes out clean. Garnish with chocolate chips if desired.
**Libby's Notes: The batter will rise to the top and turn into cake. The bottom will be a rich, chocolate pudding. It will also make your house smell wonderful!
Recipe Source: Form the cookbook, Fix-It and Forget-It: 5-Ingredient Favorites